Friday, June 19, 2009

Togo: Learning curve...



Here's the view of Lome from our lovely veranda!


So after some whirlwind vacationing in Ghana, I'm settling down now in Lome and getting to work. We are basically assisting the national HIV/AIDS program to decentralize and improve medical care and treatment in Togo. I have been following Tom around to lots of meetings, and I have had to study, and continue to study, different materials so I can start to figure out this new language of work, from names of different drugs to new formulas to use in Excel.


Yesterday, I went on my first site visit with some representatives from the national program; we went to a drug dispensation site in Aneho, about an hour from Lome, and worked with the staff there to provide more information about how to work with people living with HIV/AIDS. I am slowly starting to understand more about HIV/AIDS, how the Foundation works with partners on the ground, and what we can do to help.


It is certainly a new lifestyle for me to not be working in an actual office all day, and of course not being bombarded by a hundred emails everyday! We work from home and go back and forth between the national program headquarters and other sites for meetings. And my stress level is at a comfortable low :)


Other than work, I've been able to meet many of Tom's friends who are all good people. I also had the chance to go to a private beach last weekend, which was lovely. In fact, a main road in Lome runs along the beach and it is really nice being on the coast all the time.


I still don't really know my way around the city, but I don't really know my way around back home either, so I guess it will be a long process for me!

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment